BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 30, 2009

These Note Pads Need Spell Check

A group of up and coming journalists from Rhodes University created a blog to report on what interests them and allow fellow journalism students to read about what they have to say. 

On first glance, “Note Pads and Deadlines” has a rather formal, simple look to it, and the witty title caught my attention. However, after reading the posts, my mind was changed. I came across the post “The Life of a Rhodent is a Life for Me”. After struggling to get my eyes to adjust to read the text through the mesh effect of the background, I found that I had strained my eyes for nothing. I noticed many spelling and grammar errors, which is unforgivable considering how advanced Microsoft Office Word is today. I noticed spelling and grammar errors throughout the blog. 

I found the subject of the post rather ordinary and therefore not attention grabbing. The blogger seemed to get extremely excited about which university can ‘party the hardest’, which I found childish. If the post were a personal journal entry documenting the individuals’ daily life, it would be perfect. However, to expect fellow up-and-coming journalists to read about who the biggest drinkers are is a bit naïve. 

Although I was not too impressed with the blog posts, I did like the title of the Blog and the way the title was incorporated into the blog template. I understand that these are journalism students who have not yet been properly trained; hence, I hope to see their work improving over the next few years.

0 comments: